19th UWEB21 Biomaterials Intensive Short Course
An Introduction to Biomaterials, Medical Devices, and Biocompatibility
August 20-22, 2014
University of Washington, Seattle, WA, USA
Why is the Short Course for you?
- It brings people new to Biomaterials “up to speed” on the subject with a broad overview of the field.
- Discuss the latest trends, issues, and controversies.
- Meet biomaterials experts and leaders and hear them dicuss key issues.
- Extensive, web-based downloadable course materials.
- An introduction to UWEB21 as a resource for the biomaterials and medical device industries.
What is the UWEB21 Biomaterials Intensive Short Course?
- A tutorial introduction to the fundamentals of biomaterials, medical devices, and biocompatibility.
- The basic biology presented so a materials scientist can understand it; the basic materials science presented to be comprehensible to a biologist or physician.
- Biomaterials placed in the context of clinical practice – what are the real issues in medicine and dentistry?
NESAC/BIO Workshop - August 18-20 2014
In tandem with the UWEB21 Biomaterials Short Course, NESAC/BIO holds their annual Surface Characterization of Biomaterials Workshop. Through lectures and demonstrations on NESAC/BIO instruments, attendees learn the capabilities of surface analysis methods and how to intelligently review data received from surface analysis laboratories.
UWEB21 and NESAC/BIO now offer a discount when registering for both events.
Optional Reference Textbook:
Biomaterials Science: An Introduction to Materials in Medicine, 3rd ed., November, 2012
This best-selling title provides the most comprehensive review of all aspects of biomaterials science, with over 90 contributors from academia, government, and industry. The book explains the clinical uses of biomaterials as components in implants, devices, and artificial organs. Chapters detail biomaterials uses in biotechnology as well as the characterization of the physical, chemical, biochemical and surface properties of these materials. Also included are regulatory and ethical issues, future directions of the field, and an update on medical and biotechnological applications.
A PDF copy of the book on a USB Drive can be purchased for $80 when registering.
The left link takes you to the vendor's home page, the right link takes you to the textbook's page.
Professor Buddy D. Ratner, Ph.D.
UWEB21 - University of Washington Engineered Biomaterials
ratner at uweb dot engr dot washington dot edu
3720 15th Ave NE
Seattle WA 98195-5061